We’ve come a long way since starting this major rehabilitation project. To demonstrate, we’ve attached some photos and a video to show what the road was like before and during construction.
BEFORE ROAD CONSTRUCTION
- Remember this? Play this video from 2012.
- The Poplar Bay Road was in tough shape – a result of inconsistent maintenance.
- The combined efforts of cottagers, the Band and possibly government can address the needs of over 300 cottage lots in and south/east of the reserve.
AFTER ROAD CONSTRUCTION
- Here are some examples of what can be done – 2014.
- Ditching was needed to ensure better drainage, drawing water away from the road. We still have many areas where ditching is required.
- Culverts need to be kept up also – rehabilitation and replacement.
- Funding is limited and the work must be prioritized. The key is to spend the money smartly.
SPRING 2017 MAINTENANCE
- A frozen culvert that had to be steamed open several times in an area that had never been a problem issue in the past.
- Ice and water was more that a foot thick over the road.
- Grading has restarted with the first full grade late April. Hope for good weather for this summer!!
A lot of money has been spent ditching and installing new culverts to insure the water is running away from the road. A good road is dependant upon good drainage. We still have many areas where ditching is required. Unfortunately funding is limited and the work must be prioritized.
We had major issues with a frozen culvert that had to be steamed open several times in an area that had never been an issue in the past. We had ice and water more that a foot thick over the road.